POSTPONED Art & Essay Awards Ceremony RSVP/Registration - "Rules for Entry" also listed
Time & Location
About The Event
THE AWARDS CEREMONY HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) IMPACT. TEACHERS & PARENTS: YOU MAY ARRANGE TO DROP-OFF ART & ESSAYS BY CALLING -- 772-872-1427.
"My Favorite Bird" ART & ESSAY RULES FOR ENTRY BELOW:
(RSVP/Register here for the Awards Ceremony/BBQ -- to be held at the Possum Long Nature Center on Saturday, April 18th at 11 am -- 621 SE Palm Beach Rd., Stuart)
AUDUBON OF MARTIN COUNTY
"MY FAVORITE BIRD" ART AND ESSAY CONTEST
AWARDS CEREMONY: SATURDAY, APRIL 18, 2020, 11 AM
RSVP/Register by April 10th.
ESSAYS & ART WORK DUE BY:
5 PM, FRIDAY, MARCH 27th
Mail or hand deliver to:
Audubon of Martin County
621 SE Palm Beach Road
Stuart, FL 34994
Attn: Linda Wishney, Audubon Event Coordinator
"My Favorite Bird" Essay and Art Contest is open to all Martin County public, private, and
home-schooled students in Grades 3, 4, and 5.
ESSAY RULES FOR ENTRY:
· This year our Essay Contest will be a little different. Students will use a little more imagination and creativity.
· Students, pretend that you are a certain Florida Bird (there's more than 400 native birds to pick from). Pretend that you are living in the bird's favorite habitat and describe it. Tell us what you look like and what kind of food you eat. Be sure to mention feather colors, size, and distinctive characteristics of yourself (as a bird).
· ***Written in student's own words: no plagiarizing from books or internet. We want information and individuality. Be original.
· Essays should be 200-350 words long.
· Judging criteria: Originality 50%; Scientific Accuracy 50%.
· Label each essay in lower right hand corner with student name, phone number, school, and teacher's name and grade.
· Please do not use binders, plastic inserts, or ribbons with essay presentations.
ARTWORK RULES FOR ENTRY:
· Depict one of more than 400 native birds which live in or migrate through state of Florida.
· Any medium can be used, i.e., chalk, crayon, watercolors, ink, papermache, oils, etc.
· Size 8 ½ inch X 11 inch on whatever paper or board works for medium used.
· Sculptures-no larger trhan 12 inch high and 12 inch wide.
· Judging criteria: Originality and Creativity 50%; Accurate portrayal of bird and habitat, including correct colors of feathers 50%.
· No photographs allowed.
· Label each entry at lower right hand corner with student name, phone number, school, and teacher's name and grade.
Teachers are requested to include a list of participating students from your class and make sure all essays and artwork include printed student name, phone number, school, and teacher's name and grade in lower right hand corner of essay and artwork.
All participants will receive a "Certificate of Participation". Please be sure that each student submits a registration form so that we obtain their correct information.
Prizes will be awarded at the Audubon of Martin County "My Favorite Bird" Awards Ceremony and BBQ on Saturday, April 18, 2020, at 11 am. Prizes for Essay and Art Categories will include one Grand Prize in each category and Grades 3, 4, and 5 will have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. We are also having a "Best of School"Award. This ensures that there will be at least one winner from each and every school that participates. Prizes include Binoculars, Bird Guides, Bird Houses, and other bird related surprises. All Essay, Art, and Photo winners, their families, teachers, and the general public are invited to attend.
Students will be notified through their teachers of getting awards and through their contact number (listed on the registration form). We encourage all winners as well as all participants to attend the Awards Ceremony and BBQ. We anticipate a beautiful day to be enjoyed by all.
All entries will be returned at the Awards Ceremony. If necessary, Audubon of Martin County will hold entries for one week. A time for pickup can be arranged.
Audubon of Martin County is located at 621 SE Palm Beach Road, Stuart, FL at the intersection of Palm Beach Road and 7th Street. We will provide the BBQ and drinks. Sunscreen and hats are recommended as the event is held outside near the Butterfly Gardens at Possum Long Nature Center.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL STUDENTS!
This program is sponsored by: The Susan R. and John W. Sullivan Fund for Martin County and the Thomas Ladue McGinty Memorial Environmental Fund of The Community Foundation for Palm Beach & Martin Counties'